Is the state department holding uncashed payroll checks in YOUR name? Once you have found these unclaimed assets, the next step is to begin the claims process through the state. Since the state department wants to be absolutely certain that you’re the rightful owner of the money, you’ll need to prove your identity as well as your relationship to said paycheck(s).  

But once you file a claim for your uncashed paychecks, you’ll be reunited with your money in no time. Learn how to claim lost checks and missing wages by reading the sections below.

Discover 3 Tips to Access the Unclaimed Paycheck Money You’re Owed
Back 3 of 3

If you found an escheated check in your name, you might be breathing a sigh of financial relief! There’s nothing quite like finding lost or missing cash. Now it’s time to file a claim for this money. 

Just keep in mind that the government needs to be sure that you’re the person listed on the check. The last thing it wants is to give an employee’s money to the wrong person. 

For this reason, you have to follow the claims process established in your state. To make it easy, we’ve broken down the typical process for claiming uncashed payroll checks into three simple steps:

Step 1: Gather documents. Depending on where you live, you may need to provide the following:

  • Driver’s license or ID card
  • Social Security card 
  • W-2 
  • Previous pay stub
  • Bank statement

Step 2: File a claim. In some states, getting your unclaimed paychecks entails filling out a claim form. This document generally requires you to provide personal information that verifies the information on the documents you provide. Some states let you do this completely online, while others have a mail-in process.

Step 3: Get your money. If the state approves your claim for an escheated check, you can expect to receive your money in 30 to 180 days. In most cases, you’ll get a check sent to your current mailing address.

Back 3 of 3

By Admin