The federal government has additional grants and services for military members and the immediate family members. The types of grants available include housing, education, small business and health care grants, among other types of grants.

Government Grants for Service Members and Their Families

Housing – The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has grants and backs home loans for veterans and surviving spouses. You might be eligible for a housing grant to modify your home if you have a service-connected or age-related disability.

The two VA housing grants include the Specially Adapted Housing and the Special Housing Adaptation grants. The VA also has resources for housing if you are a homeless veteran. 

Education Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants provide funding for children of service members who died in service. As a surviving dependent, you must also meet the eligibility requirements for Federal Pell Grants except for income.

You might still be eligible for Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants even if you do not qualify for a Pell Grant based on your expected Family Contribution. 

Small Businesses – The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) provides the financial opportunity, Boots to Business, to active-duty service members, veterans, and their spouses. The program helps current and former service members and their spouses launch a business with its support for five years.

Health care – You can receive health care through the VA and at VA health facilities. There are service-related eligibility requirements, including not being dishonorably discharged. The coverage amount will depend on your income and the severity of your disability or condition. 

Most programs for military members and their families are available through the Department of Veterans Affairs. You may qualify for VA benefits for your disability or from the death of your spouse. You can contact them about employment, health care, and housing services.

By Admin