It’s no question that having missing wages can be frustrating. After all, it’s your money; you worked for it! Luckily, there are several employee laws that you can use to your advantage in order to claim your hard-earned cash. You can rest assured knowing that your missing money can be paid back to you in full.

Learn how to file a complaint for missing money and all the information you may need to claim it. Get helpful details in the final section below!

Ready to File a Claim for Missing Wages? Learn How the WHD May Help YOU
Back 3 of 3

Employment lawyers help millions of Americans each year to file complaints for lost wages, missing paychecks and other wage violations. But the truth is, you don’t need to go through a lawyer to claim your hard-earned money, though it may help. 

Learning how to file a complaint for missing wages starts with knowing where to file. The Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division (WHD) is responsible for enforcing employment laws and following up on violations.

To file a complaint about back pay or missing money, you can contact the WHD in one of the following ways: online or by phone at 1 (866) 487-9243.

When filing a complaint for missing wages, you may need to provide the following information: 

  • Your full name
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Name, location and phone number of your employer
  • Name for an employer contact 
  • Occupational field 
  • How and when you were paid

If you have physical documents, like pay stubs or timesheets, you may find it beneficial to submit those as well. Any evidence you can provide about your missing money will help you prevent any delays in the claims process.

After filing the complaint, the WHD will investigate the situation and correct it if your claim checks out. In some cases, the WHD will visit the employer during the investigation. If there are missing wages in your name, the WHD typically orders your employer to pay you in the amount you are owed. Depending on your employer and the way in which you were paid, you may receive a paper check or direct deposit.

Back 3 of 3

By Admin